Saturday, March 28, 2009

What I did photographically for Spring Break










I had created an aircraft noseart illustration for a friend of mine's spray plane last semester in ART 461. I had it produced as a vinyl decal at the BSU print shop with the same products used for vehicle wraps. I traveled to Wasco, OR (6 hours away on I-84) Wednesday and installed it on his airplane. We spent Thursday capturing these pictures. Brian flew and I climbed to the top of the airport beacon tower for my picture taking so I could shoot down on him and get the bright white airplane against a darker background. This also allowed the water he was spraying to show better too.

For my most successful shots I set the camera on Shutter Priority. The camera then selects the best F stop for the light and I choose the shutter speed. I wanted to create movement by panning with the passing airplane to keep it in focus and not blurred while allowing the background to blur. Another thing to consider was capturing the movement of the propeller arc so the engine didn't appear stopped in mid flight. So these are photographed witht he shutter set about 1/60th of second. Had a lot of fun!

I love Safeway Sandwiches and ate two of em during the drive. If you ever get to Baker City you can get one at the Safeway there. They are better than any Quiznos or Subway or whatever.

I was also photographing old neon signs in the old communitites along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment